Pages

Friday, September 28, 2018

Feeling Comfortable

I don’t usually drink coffee but I wanted to try a new drink from Starbucks. I ordered a tall (aka short) Cacao Protein Blended Cold Brew. It sounded fancy and good so I didn’t see a reason why not to order it… until the barista looked at me confused. He asked me, “are you sure you want that one?” After explaining to him that I usually go for sweet drinks, he told me that I probably won't like it. However, he assured me in the case that I don’t like it, he’ll make me a new one for free. Honestly, I wouldn't lose anything so I went with it. When I picked up my fancy drink, I took one sip and it was one of the most disgusting things I have ever tasted! The barista saw the face I made, laughed and began to make a double chocolate chip frappe for me. Anyway, this could have easily happened at any other Starbucks but that’s not where I’m headed. The staff here, at every angle, is welcoming, on your side and eager to help. Another instance I had was meeting Dr. Jennifer Hackney-Price. Before I transferred to ASU West, I had briefly met her at a STEM Open House and I immediately liked her. She is an enthusiastic, kind, intelligent and awesome person that I am grateful to know. A couple of weeks ago, we had a one-on-one conversation about her career and she gave me genuine advice. She has also helped me throughout my project and reassured me that it’s okay to make mistakes. I truly appreciate her because she doesn’t tell me she cares, she shows me. She is someone who has made an impact in my life and I have known her for less than 4 months! Now, that’s not to say she is the only one who cares for her students, there are others who are as happy to help. A few others that I can think of are Pamela Marshall and Jennifer Broatch. With that said, the people (students, professors, staff, etc.) on West campus are so welcoming, assuring and reliable. Since I started, I have not had a bad experience with anyone. Honestly, I feel welcomed here and I am happy to say that I am a part of ASU!
Figure 1. The entrance of Arizona State University West Campus.

Figure 2. A water fountain located outside the University Center Building.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you so much Brenda! ASU West is such a chill place. I see Dr. Hackney-Price in the hallway sometimes and she always says Hi. Dr. Marshall is also really funny and extremely willing to help with anything. She is also pretty funny. There is a hilarious sign over her research lab name plaque that says "Evil Genius and her Minions". I can say, I am glad to be one of her minions and learn from her Evil Genius ways. It is also really comforting to know that you and Jasmine are in nearby research labs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you are having such a great experience at ASU. It's nice to know that the people there are welcoming and helpful. It makes me look forward to transferring there myself. You hear horror stories sometimes with others and their university experiences. I'll be looking forward to hearing more. About the Starbucks drink...I actually enjoy the protein one. I guess my tastebuds must be off. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw people commenting on your blog about Starbucks and how you feel about being at ASU West and came straight over. Starbucks and ASU West are my future goals. :-) It sounds like it's good living the dream over there. Thanks for giving us the insight. It makes me feel really confident about my direction. I could definitely use whole tons more of that. I can hardly wait to hear how it progresses over there.

    ReplyDelete