Pages

Thursday, March 2, 2017

DNA Extraction Methods on Enterococcus Faecalis (Week 3)

During my 3rd week, I began working on my research project, which involved 4 DNA extraction methods following a set of protocols. I am trying to determine which DNA extraction method will yield the most of amount of DNA from Enterococcus faecalis. The methods that I am testing include a commercial kit and 3 (one includes 3 different chemicals to use) methods that I chose. The name of the commercial kit is QuickExtract. For this method, I followed a protocol and used QuickExtract Bacterial DNA and Ready-Lyse Lysozyme (1st image shown below). Since it is a commercial kit, it is supposed to yield the most amount of DNA. As for the other 3 methods, I will use protocols for a boiling, microwave and enzymatic digestion followed by heating (done using 3 different chemicals) method. The boiling method did not require any chemicals so I only needed my bacteria, a centrifuge and a water bath. For the microwave method, I will need a centrifuge, TE buffer (2nd image shown below), 15% SDS, a microwave, lysis buffer and ethanol. As for the enzymatic digestion followed by heating method, a centrifuge is needed along with 3 different chemicals (only that each time I perform the protocol, only one chemical is used). The 3 different chemicals that I will use are Ready-Lyse Lysozyme, proteinase K, 10% Tween 20, and 15% SDS (proteinase K, 10% Tween 20, and 15% SDS will be used altogether in during one protocol). However, during this week, I was only able to perform 3 methods: QuickExtract, boiling and one of the ways to perform enzymatic digestion followed by heating (I used Ready-Lyse Lysozyme). Next week, I will be working on the microwave method and using the remaining chemicals for the enzymatic digestion followed by heating method.

QuickExtract Bacterial DNA & Ready-Lyse Lysozyme
TE buffer

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brenda, so what exactly is Enterococcus Faecalis? like does the bacteria effect the amount of DNA that you find in each protocol. Also what is the difference between the heating protocol and the microwave protocol? I would personally think that they are the same things since they both involve heat? Good luck on the rest on you're protocols and if you need any help be free to ask me any questions you have. (:

    ReplyDelete