Pages

Thursday, February 8, 2018

Starting Slowly...

I found my lost DNA samples from last semester! For those of you who may not know, during my Fall 2017 research project, my extracted unknown DNA samples went missing and I could not find them anywhere. However, today, I so happened to be looking inside the biohazard freezer and dug under the items that were in there. I was initially looking for QuickExtract bacterial DNA but luckily, I also ran into my missing samples! Even though the mystery has officially been solved, I could no longer use these samples so I had to throw them away. Other than that, I began to perform DNA extraction on new unknown bacteria from creosote bushes. These samples were obtained by a fellow intern, Luisa Zamora, who is also working on this project with me. Slowly but surely, I hope we will make significant progress!
Figure 1. The missing extracted unknown DNA samples that were lost during my Fall 2017 research project. 

Figure 2. Unknown bacteria inside TSB broth before 24 hours.

Figure 3. Unknown bacteria inside TSB broth after 24 hours.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brenda! Were those the DNA samples you were looking at earlier in lab? That is so funny how you found them after all this time. :D I am actually curious on why the identification of an unknown bacteria on that specific type of bush. Is it because creosote bushes are easier to come by in the desert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Brenda. It's sad you found your DNA samples after you resolved your issue. But, hey it didn't stop you from continuing your research. It's a good thing that you have flexible methods for cases like losing samples. There was a time something happened to my work, and it was hard to comprehend at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Brenda! I'm really glad you found your samples after all this time. When you told me about how they disappeared, it sounded like you still wanted to know where they were, so its great that you found them. Also I've really enjoyed working with you so far! I'm excited to see the results that we both come up with and compare them :)

    ReplyDelete