Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2018

PCR Primers

This week was quite slow because I have been researching possible PCR primers to
use for Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR). The next step of my research is to
perform this but I cannot do so without these primers. With that said, I have to
develop my own primers from researching articles and protocols.. Even though I
am looking for universal primers, it is a little difficult to determine which one
would be best because certain ones work for certain bacteria or environments.
Since I am trying to identify unknown bacteria, I will most like have to develop
more than one primer. For example, one primer for gram positive bacteria and
another for gram negative bacteria. I will continue my research and hopefully
begin PCR next week!

Figure 1. The materials and process of Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR). During PCR, the specific DNA that the primer targets is replicated over and over. If the primer cannot find that DNA, it means the sample does not have it and vis versa. ("PCR", n.d.).


PCR. (n.d.). Retrieved March 23, 2018, from
http://ib.bioninja.com.au/standard-level/topic-3-genetics/35-genetic-modification-
and/pcr.html

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brenda, Sounds like you have a lot of researching to go and a lot of samples to run until determining the the right correct primer and best well matched primer for you. So looking at the image that you uploaded I have a quick question. Will you be determining how much of everything you be needing like specific measurement amounts?

    ReplyDelete