Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Possible PCR Primers

I was able to narrow possible PCR primers down to about 3 pairs. It turns out, I do
not have to necessarily make my own primers, I can use primers that have already
been created to test them out. With this in mind, after researching universal primers,
I have decided to use a pair of PCR primers from last semester and 2 new ones. The
ones from last semester were 27F and 1492R. The primers I want to test are V3F,
V3R, V6F and V6R. Each primer has a specific sequence that will be replicated and
it can be seen in Figure 1. I found it interesting that the new primers have lowercase
letters in their sequence. After researching why this could be, thinking it could have
possibly been a typo, I found that lowercase letters can mean “low-complexity or
repetitive elements” (“Legend: Fasta”, n.d.).

Figure 1. The possible PCR primers that I plan to use during PCR. There are 6 in total, equaling 3 pairs. The sequences are listed next to each one starting from 5' and ending at 3'. 

Legend: Fasta. (n.d.). Retrieved March 30, 2018, from
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp_legend.cgi?legend=fasta
Chakravorty, S., Helb, D., Burday, M., Connell, N., & Alland, D. (2007). A detailed analysis of 16S ribosomal RNA gene segments for the diagnosis of pathogenic bacteria. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 69(2), 330-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mimet.2007.02.005

No comments:

Post a Comment