Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Second DNA Extraction


This week, I performed the second DNA extraction on the unknown Larrea Tridentata bacteria. I was unsatisfied with the results I obtained a couple of weeks ago because the NanoDrop DNA values were low (well, at least to me). Due to these results, I thought I had done something wrong. With this in mind, I was hoping to get higher amounts of DNA during this extraction. However, that was not the case because I practically had about the same amount of nucleic acid. After this extraction, nothing changed and I will be using these samples for PCR. Below is the nucleic acid graph and data table for this second extraction (Group B).

Figure 1. The NanoDrop data collected from unknown bacteria in creosote bushes (group B). Five DNA extracted samples were used: A1, A8, A24, A26 and A27. Displayed with each bacteria is the amount of nucleic acid, 260 ratio, 280 ratio and260/280.

Figure 2. The NanoDrop graph from unknown bacteria in creosote bushes. The five displayed DNA extracted samples, A1B, A8B, A24B, A26B and A27B, are shown, along with the wavelength and the absorbance.

No comments:

Post a Comment